I pretty much lived off this at university so I can make it in my sleep. The sauce is ready even before the pasta which means it takes under 15 minutes to make (half that if using fresh pasta)! It’s so comforting and easy to make that I always want it on cold nights when I can eat it in front of the TV after a long day. Minimum effort but maximum pleasure!
Rigatoni with Ham, Peas and Cream Sauce
Serves 4 people
1 lb of rigatoni
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup frozen peas
1 tablespoon cream cheese
1 cup light cream
3 thick slices of ham (cubed)
1/3 cup gorgonzola (optional)
Grated Parmesan cheese for serving
1. In a large pot, bring plenty of salted water to the boil and add pasta.
2. Meanwhile, in a frying pan on a low heat, add oil and frozen peas.
3. When the peas are melted, add the cream cheese and light cream.
4. At this stage, you can also add the gorgonzola if you like it (I do!) Mix in the ham.
5. When everything is melted and warmed through turn off the heat until the pasta is ready.
6. Before draining the pasta, scoop out a cup of the salty water to use with the sauce if it’s too thick.
7. Drain pasta and add to the frying pan with the sauce. Turn heat back to medium and mix well. If the sauce is too dry, add some of the water from the pasta.
8. Serve warm with grated Parmesan cheese.