This is the perfect roast to share with a large gathering. Porter & York are known for the exceptional quality of their fresh meats and their Rib Roast stands alone. Perfect as a main course for the holidays this roast makes not only a beautiful presentation but also a deliciously rich feast. Most of the cook time is in the oven so with relatively little prep, you will have the perfect meal for the holidays. We hope you enjoy!
Sunday Standing Prime Rib Roast
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 4-5 hours
8-10 pounds standing Prime Rib Roast, bone-in
About ½ cup kosher salt (1 teaspoon per pound of meat)
About ¼ cup fresh ground black pepper (1/2 teaspoon per pound of meat)
1. 24-48 hours before you plan to serve the roast, rub it all over with salt and fresh ground pepper. Add fresh or dried herbs if you wish. This dry brining time creates a more well-seasoned flavor. Remove the meat from the refrigerator an hour before cooking.
2. Preheat the oven to 250° F.
3. Roast for about 25 minutes per pound of meat. Check the temperature 30 minutes early. You want 130° F for medium rare. Remove roast and let rest for 45-60 minutes.
4. Increase oven temperature to 500° F. Roast for 10 minutes to ensure the deeply golden crusty exterior and a juicy reddish pink interior.
5. Remove from oven and, since the meat is already well rested, simply carve and enjoy!