We are thrilled to be able to share this recipe from the talented Ashley Rodriguez of Not Without Salt. We actually discovered Porter & York through her blog which we devotedly follow. What a delight to connect with not only such an outstanding food blogger but also with a new producer who sources the finest Pacific Northwest Salmon and other high quality meats. There's nothing we enjoy more than building the Many Kitchens community to include such talented and creative individuals. We hope you enjoy the recipe, our newest products and also don't forget to check out the Not Without Salt gift box which features some of Ashley's favorite BBQ cuts from Porter & York.
Plank Grilled Salmon Sandwich
Recipe by: Ashley (Not Without Salt)
2 1/2 pound fillet of King Salmon
Salt & pepper
2 heaping tablespoons dijon mustard
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
12 strips bacon
2 large avocados, peeled, pitted and sliced
3 cups arugula
6 brioche buns, halved
1/2 cup mayonnaise
cedar plank, soaked for at least an hour
1. Preheat your grill while you prepare the salmon.
2. Set the salmon on the soaked plank then season with salt and pepper. Spread the mustard on top then finish with the dark brown sugar.
3. Grill the salmon for 20 to 30 minutes or until the flesh is firm when touched and flaking.
4. After 10 minutes on the grill lay the bacon directly onto the grill and cook until crisp on both sides, about 10 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
5. Remove the salmon and bacon from the grill then let the salmon rest while you prepare the burgers.
6. Slather the brioche buns with mayonnaise.
7. Cut the salmon into 6 or so burger-size pieces. Place a piece of the salmon on the bottom bun then top with avocado, arugula and bacon. Finish with the red onion relish and then the other half of the bun.
Red Onion Relish
1 large red onion, halved and thinly sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoons dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons red wine
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
¼ cup drained capers
1. In a medium pan over low heat, add the olive oil. Add the red onion and salt and saute for 15 minutes or until very soft, stirring frequently until done.
2. Add the sugar, wine, thyme leaves and vinegar. Cover and simmer for 8 minutes. Remove the lid and simmer for 5 minutes or until the liquid is syrupy. Fold in capers. Cool, then store in a jar in the fridge.