Last week my friends Camille and Josh hosted a dinner for our good friend Henry who was visiting from England. It was one of those perfect evenings when I look around the table and have a silent smug moment about how great my friends and how lucky I am to have them. I helped with the food, and by helped, all I mean is that I brought over the trusted red pot and another of Lolly’s fail proof recipes. It’s one of those meals that I love because the red pot works its magic without anyone having to run around with last minute sauces.
As with the chicken, this can absolutely be made in a regular dutch oven.
Red Pot - Part II
Mexican Pulled Beef Tacos
2lbs organic beef chuck
5 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons of tomato paste
1 small can of chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon of cumin
1 chipotle pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350. Generously salt and pepper the meat and place in the red pot
2. Roughly chop the onion and place around the meat
3. Peel the garlic cloves and scatter in the pot
4. Pour water into the pot so it comes 1/4 “ up the sides
5. Mix the tomato paste with the can of tomatoes and the cumin in a bowl and pour over the meat
6. Add the chipotle pepper
7. Cover and cook for 3 hours
8. Remove the meat and shred with two forks
9. While you are shredding the meat, you can reduce the sauce in the pot on the stove top
10. Discard chipotle pepper
11. Return the meat to the pot
Serve with warmed tortillas and Mexican fixings. We had yellow rice and beans, chopped cilantro, cubed avocado and grated cheese along with my highly inauthentic Mexican weakness, sour cream.