For this post, Aurora and I set about constructing our perfect summer sandwich. We wanted to create a recipe from scratch and really think about each ingredient. We wanted bright colors, refreshing flavors and complimentary textures. We took inspiration from the unforgettable Jerk Chicken Fajitas I had 12 years ago in Jamaica as well as the Louisiana Po’Boy. The result was everything we hoped for and more. Marinating the shrimp in Baron’s International Jerk Sauce gave us the heat we wanted. Spreading the brioche bun with Victoria Amory’s Classic Lemon Mayonnaise gave us just the right amount of tang. The mango and red pepper relish along with some arugula filled in the missing sweetness and extra bite. We hope you’ll make them for your next picnic and enjoy them us much as we did.
Jerk Shrimp Sandwich
1 lb. large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 cup Jerk Sauce
2 brioche style buns
Classic Lemon Mayonnaise to taste
1/4 cup arugula
1 cup finely diced mango
1/2 cup finely diced red pepper
2 tablespoons minced red onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 lime, juiced
Sea salt to taste
1. In a large bowl, cover shrimp with jerk marinade, toss and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Allow to marinate for at least 1 hour in the refrigerator or overnight.
2. In a medium bowl, combine ingredients for the relish and mix thoroughly. Season to taste with sea salt.
3. Heat your griddle or grill pan on high.
4. Dress buns with mayonnaise and top bottom buns with arugula.
5. Grill the shrimp on a grill pan till just pink about 1-2 minutes per side. Repeat until all the shrimp are cooked.
6. Divide your shrimp between the two buns and top with mango relish. Eat while shrimp is still warm. Enjoy.