At the launch party for Many Kitchens, we tried to have food from each of our producers. Michael offered to bring short rib sliders to showcase his incredible barbecue sauce. They flew off the plates in a matter of minutes and I’ve been begging for the recipe ever since. I’m so excited that he has agreed to share it here.
Michael Steifman has proved that Barbecuing is no longer exclusive to the South. His expanding selection of rubs and sauces have saved me on multiple occasions when I find myself with some chicken legs and not much inspiration. Michael recently expanded his family too and became the proud father of a daughter. His obsession with all things barbecue is forever confirmed in his nickname for her; Smoky!
BBQ Short Rib Sliders
Makes about 24 sliders
By Stuart & Co. From Recipes from Many Kitchens
2 pounds (907g) boneless short ribs (you can use bone in if that’s all you can find just buy extra to match bone volume & remove before shredding)
2 cups (470ml) BBQ sauce
2 cups(470ml) beef or chicken broth
¼ cup (25g) beef rub
2 tablespoons (30g) kosher salt
Grapeseed or vegetable oil
24 Martins Potato Buns Slider Rolls (any two bite size roll will do such as a brioche or mini potato roll)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180ºC). Season short ribs with beef rub and the kosher salt.
2. Heat a pan or grill to medium high. If using a pan to sear the beef, drizzle the oil in the pan. If using the grill drizzle the oil on the beef and coat it lightly.
3. Sear the beef on all sides in the pan or on the grill for a bout 1 minute per side then set aside.
4. Place the short ribs in a Dutch oven or roasting pan large enough for all the ribs to be in one layer. Mix BBQ sauce with 2 cups (470ml) of broth. Pour the mixture over the short ribs until they are just covered. Cover the pot with aluminum foil and place in the oven for 3 hours.
5. Once the ribs are tender and falling apart remove them from the pan and let them cool.
6. Pour the leftover braising liquid into a smaller sauce pot to heat the shredded beef back up in. Once the ribs are cool enough to handle, shred them and place them in the sauce. Warm over low heat then spoon onto potato buns and serve.