And people say I don’t like salads! Granted, this is about as close to a salad as a bowl of Spaghetti alla Carbonara is to a carb free diet but the recipe calls it a salad and who am I to quibble? I adapted this recipe from Stephanie Alexander’s Cook’s Companion. Stephanie is one of those rare cookery writers, like Marcella Hazan, who has never failed me. The Cook’s Companion is in my top 5 favorite cookbooks and I’ve barely scratched the surface of all she has to offer.
I chose to make this recipe to kick off Oktoberfest (which curiously is always in September). By making use of Mustard & Co.’s signature mustard as well as Schaller & Weber’s ridiculously good double smoked bacon, the recipe went from great to spectacular. Pair it with the Oktoberfest Pack of Schaller & Weber’s award winning German sausages and you’ve got a feast where all you need to do is add the beer. Prost!
Potato Salad with Double Smoked Bacon
1 lb of new potatoes, cut into bite size pieces (halve or quarter potatoes depending on size)
1/4 lb of Double Smoked Bacon, diced
2 tablespoons of sour cream
3 teaspoons of mustard
1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon of finely cut fresh chives
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Boil the potatoes until tender (about 8-10 minutes, test with a knife). Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
2. Fry the bacon in a large frying pan (make sure pan is large enough to later fit all the potatoes).
3. When the bacon is crispy, turn off the burner and remove the bacon with a slotted spoon to drain on kitchen towel.
4. In a small bowl, mix the sour cream, mustard and vinegar and add to the frying pan while the pan is still hot. Mix thoroughly.
5. Add in the bacon and the potatoes and stir with the dressing.
6. Finish with the chives and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm.