I can never decide which I like more, apple pie or apple crumble and now I don’t have to. The best of all worlds with buttery flaky pastry on the bottom and sweet juicy filling oozing out of the nutty crunchy layer on top. I used Molly and Me’s Praline Pecan Toppings but any of her home grown and home roasted pecan mixes would work just as well.
Pecan Apple Pie
Ingredients for the pastry:
8 oz plain flour
5 oz unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
3 ounces sugar
1 egg plus 1 egg yolk mixed with a splash of milk
Ingredients for the filling:
4 or 5 apples, I like to use a mixture
Zest of 1/2 lemon
3 tablespoons muscovado sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup of all purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup of oats
1 stick of butter at room temperature
1/2 cup of soft brown sugar
1 jar Praline Pecan Toppings
Method for the pastry:
1. Preheat the oven to 300°F.
2. Put the flour, butter and sugar in a food processor and blitz until you get crumbs.
3. Add the egg and mix again.
4. Roll out the pastry on a floured surface until 1/4″ thick. Lay the pastry in a 9″ pie dish, cut off any overhang with a knife and press the back of a fork around the rim. Refrigerate while you prepare the filling.
Method for the filling:
1. Peel and core the apples then cut into eighths.
2. In a sauce pan over low heat, toss the apples with the lemon, sugar, cinnamon, salt and a tablespoon of water. Simmer for about 5 minutes and then allow to cool completely.
3. In a large mixing bowl, mix the flour, salt, oats and butter using your fingertips until you get a “crumbly” texture.
4. Add the sugar to the mixture and combine well.
5. Remove the pie dish from the fridge, line with foil or parchment paper and then fill with uncooked rice or beans. Bake for 20 minutes and let cool.
6. Once cool, pack the apple mix tightly into the dish and sprinkle the crumble mixture and then the pecans over the apples.
7. Use the yolk and milk mixture to egg wash the pastry rim and then bake in the oven for a further 30 minutes or until nicely browned.