My friend Ben always says that September feels more like the start of a new year than January and I know just what he means. After two beautiful weeks in Italy, I’m enjoying that back-to-school feeling filled with resolutions. Fueled by jet lag, I’ve already resumed my early morning walks on the high line and started planning the fall in my head. I had forgotten how much I love to start the day watching the city come to life on the streets below with the sun bursting through the high rise buildings in the east and the breeze off the Hudson from the west.
I tend to arrive home starving as the ideas I come up with are naturally food related and centered on what I plan on cooking. We’ve got a lot of wonderful new products that we’re going to be launching on Many Kitchens and coming up with recipes for them is one of my favorite past times. The utterly charming Victoria Amory has added a Hot Pink Mayonnaise to her growing collection of condiments and it’s a new favorite already. I used it both in, and on top of, these crab cakes making them incredibly succulent and flavorful.
Crab Cakes with Hot Pink Mayonnaise
1lb jumbo lump crab meat
2 tablespoons Hot Pink Mayonnaise (plus more for serving)
2 tablespoons chopped chives (reserve a few for serving)
2 teaspoons of lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon cayenne peppe
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup canola oil
lemon wedges for serving
1. Whisk the egg in a bowl and then add all the other ingredients except for the oil.
2. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
3. Divide the mixture into 8 patties about 1″ thick.
4. Heat the oil in a large skillet until shimmering.
5. Add the crab cakes (if they don’t all fit, you can do in batches) and cook for about 3 minutes on each side – they should be nice and browned on both sides. Flip them very gently.
6. Serve topped with Hot Pink Mayo, a sprinkling of chives and lemon wedges.