After months of chopping, slicing, measuring and testing recipes for the cookbook, I’ve been grateful for a fridge full of sauces that someone else has spent time perfecting. All I have to come up with is a vehicle for them and I pretty much have dinner on the table. I’ve been impatiently waiting for Jar Goods to introduce new sauces and they’re finally here! A Classic Vodka Sauce as well as a Classic Spicy sauce have all the qualities of their signature Classic Red. They are simply the best tomato sauces available and the reason I haven’t made a red sauce in two years.
I’m almost embarrassed to write out this recipe, it’s that simple but satisfied my craving for a baked pasta like the one my mother always made for Sunday lunch but without any of the work.
Baked Penne Vodka
1 pound of dried penne
1 jar of Classic Vodka Sauce
8 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/2″ cubes (divided)
1 tablespoon of butter
Fresh basil and freshly grated parmesan for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil.
3. Cook pasta for 3 minutes LESS than the packet instructions. It should be really al dente as it will continue to cook in the oven.
4. Drain the pasta and mix with the vodka sauce and half the mozarella.
5. Butter a baking dish large enough to hold the pasta, then pour in the pasta and scatter the remaining mozarella on top.
6. Bake for 40 minutes or until nicely browned.
7. Serve with fresh basil and parmesan cheese.