This recipe is compliments of Rachel Hirshorn, long-time friend and margarita afficionado. Rachel dishes up the best margaritas! The week of my wedding she was winning over friends and family alike with another incarnation of this recipe which added watermelon chunks to kick it up a notch for summer. The result was utter bliss. She generously shared her recipe with Many Kitchens and we thought it a perfect cocktail for Cinco de Mayo!
Hot Cilantro Margarita
1.5 oz jalapeño infused tequila, method below (Patron Silver, I prefer...but don't go more expensive than that because the balance of the liquor becomes more delicate)
2 sprigs of cilantro
1 oz Cointreau or Triple Sec
0.5 oz Fresh orange juice
Dash of simple syrup (blend to taste)
Dash of fresh lemon juice
Dash of fresh lime juice
Dash dash of tabasco
Optional: rimmed glass (lime juice and sea salt)
Slice whole jalapeños once down the middle and marinate for one week inside tequila bottle OR, if pressed for time, muddle one very small piece with seeds)
1. Start by tearing the cilantro by hand into shaker, as small as you can (don't muddle...never gets as much flavor in my experience).
2. Add the rest of the ingredients with exception of tabasco.
3. Shake rigorously.
4. Pour up in martini glass, or over ice in tall collins.
5. Float two dashes of tabasco on top.
6. Garnish with Cilantro sprig and lime.