Makes about 1 cup
4 egg yolks
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1 lemon, juiced
8 tablespoons of butter (1 stick), melted
2 dashes of tabasco sauce (optional)
Salt and freshly cracked pepper
1. Fill a small saucepan with water to measure 2 inches up its sides. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer.
2. In a heat-proof bowl, whisk the egg yolks.
3. Add bowl to the top of the saucepan (make sure no part of the bowl touches the water-- you don't want to scramble the yolks).
4. Whisk yolks until they double in size and add dijon and lemon juice.
5. Slowly drizzle in melted (but not sizzling hot) butter, whisking as you go.
6. Once sauce is evenly mixed and easily coats the back of a spoon, add in tabasco, if desired, and season with salt and pepper.
*If you break your hollandaise, an easy remedy is to add another egg yolk and 1 tablespoon of cold water and whisk until sauce returns to its correct texture.
Perfect Poached Egg
2 teaspoons vinegar (white wine or rice vinegar work great)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Fill a saute pan with 2-inch sides halfway up with water and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce to a simmer and add vinegar and salt.
3. Crack your egg into a measuring cup/teacup. Slowly pour your egg into center of the pan and use a slotted spoon to stir the water until the egg whites gather around the yolk.
4. Cover the pan, turn off the heat and allow to rest for 5 minutes covered.
5. Use a slotted spatula (I prefer over a spoon) to collect the poached egg.
6. Blot off excess water with a paper towel and serve warm. The white should be firm and the yolk soft but not too jiggly.
4 Large Latke (the best are the Extra Extra Large Latkes from Linda's Gourmet Latkes or if you're feeling ambitious: make them yourself)
4 hearty slices of Smoked Salmon
1/4 cup finely chopped chives to garnish
Freshly cracked pepper
1. Warm latkes according to instructions.
2. Top with smoked salmon, a perfectly poached egg and a generous helping of hollandaise sauce.
3. Serve two per plate since these are sooo delicious!
4. Garnish with chives and freshly cracked pepper. Enjoy!